Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Clustering for web site using SQL Server7.0, Cold Fusion4.5, IIS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

docWatson

MIS
Mar 30, 2000
GB
Dear All<br><br>So, you think you've done it all with NT4 clusters? How about his little puzzler:<br><br>I want to set up 2 servers in an NT cluster using one external disk array. The virtual server's main function will be to provide a web site using IIS 4.0, Cold Fusion 4.5, and SQL Server 7.0. <br><br>Questions:<br>1. With one array card in each box my only choice is an Active/Passive config. No problems there. However, suppose I want to set up a development environment - a copy of the live web site - on the local, internal disks of my passive node, i.e IIS, Cold Fusion, SQL Server running on the server but accessing the local disks. So, while the active node services live clients, the passive node services internal development clients. Ok, enough description...what happens when the active node goes down? Can MSCS support such an implemetation - I'm sure MS wouldn't recommend it but has anyone got any relevant experience or advice?<br><br>2. Does MSCS support Cold Fusion - in the real world, not on the MSCS Product List. Will Cold Fusion 4.5 server handle failover and continue running?<br><br>Cheers&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>

Veritas Cluster Server Will support the applications aswell as many which Microsoft can not !!

You are correct about one thing I wouldn't recommend doing it that way but.... I don't see why it shouldn't work, be very careful how you set up your data base paths on your dev copy to be sure not to run your dev copy on a fail-over.
Like I said before I wouldn't recommend it, you would be saving yourself a lot of potential trouble if you put your dev copy on a machine thats not mission critical. Hope this helps (Bugermass....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back