Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT clients not authenticating

Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy9

Instructor
Aug 13, 2001
US
I teach computer programming in a high school setting. We have a tech in each building, but he is usually overworked with maintaining the large main network. This can mean that it takes several months to get to problems on my network.

I work with a small network using a Red Hat Linux (version 6) server with 25 Win NT workstations. It was working well for several months.

Then a few of the workstations could not login (unless you get into the workstation as local administrator and use Network Neighborhood, double-click the server, enter a user ID and a password). The only change I am aware of is that the other teacher using the network installed some new software that wanted IE 6.0 installed (which was done).

Using the normal way to login on these six machines generates the error:
“The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system’s computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password in that account is incorrect.” There is no router and no Internet connection.

Looking at the local error log indicates that authentication failed.

The Samba smb.conf file says: wins service = yes

One book indicated that this usually means that Samba is not set for encrypted passwords, however, it is set that way, and most workstations can login correctly.

2 things. 1 This should be posted to the Samba forum. 2, what win OS are the clients that are having trouble?

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Thanks. I'm new to this. Sorry for any inconvenience.

However, problem now solved.

The primary domain controller password got corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back