Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT client on Netware 5.1 LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillis

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2001
Hi,

I am trying to add an NT 4.0 workstation to our existing Novell network LAN (Netware 5.1) I have used Novell's client version 4.8 and so far, I am aunthenticating OK and successfully logging into the server; however, the following services are not being started - NWLink IPX/SPX compatible transport protocol, Wins Client(TCP/IP, and TCP/IP Net Bios Helper. There are other services as well that don't load but each one is dependent on one or more of the 3 listed above. What am I missing in my configuration that is preventing a "clean" boot?

Thank you very much for any help,

J Giles

The services you mention are related to Windows LANMAN stuff. Take it out and you won't see this problem.

NWLink IPX/SPX compatible transport protocol is IPX stack, presumably you're connecting with TCP/IP?
Wins Client this is the M$ naming service thing

So you don't need them, so don't worry about it.

Cheers

Thanks for the response! Actually we are using IPX still to connect. jg

I´ve had a similar topolgy. I guess your NT uses IP(and Wins & the Netbios-Stuff) to connect to NT-Servers and use their shares. But why the heck do you need IPX ? Nw5.1 native protocol is IP ! And i don´t talk about that "spooky" NetwareIP, which never worked for me.
Don´t worry about the name-resolution. If you don´t wanna implement DNS in your LAN, you may use static host-entries in you hosts file. The other way is using the lmhosts-file .
And last but not least: Have a look on the NativeFileAccess-Pack avail for Netware5.x and comes native with Netware6.

If you still want / need both protocols, check the eventlog of your NT. Which ServicePack ? Applied before or after intalling network-enviroment ?

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back