Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT box wont boot. Need to Save SQL data, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkode78

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US

Here is the system Info:

Compaq AP550 , old workstation with NT

Has compaq 9.1 GB SCSI hard drive with NT on it
Maxtor 120 GB with Data and SQL server

What I DID ( stupid MEE!!) : I was trying to trouble shoot the DLT 40/80 GB tape machine that was attached to this workstation. I went into services and changed the mode for the 9.1 GB SCSI hard disk driver from BOOT to SYSTEM.

And when I restarted, Got the Blue screen of death. saying Boot disk inaccesible. After couple of more times, now I just get the cursor blinking.

In BIOS the 9.1GB SCSI disk shows up and I was able to see it and test it. Same thing with Compaq Diagnostics. It can see it and everything is okay.

THe only problem is that When NT boots, this SCSI disk driver should load, but since I changed it from BOOT to SYSTEM, its not loading. and no boot is happeninng.

Here is what I want: I could care less about NT and this box because we bought a new server Dell 2650 and are planning to move everything there. HOwever because of the scrrew up with the tape machine, we dont have a current copy of the Databases on the other Maxtor 120GB drive.

1) Is there a way to fix NT to boot up again, and make everything work magically? This would be the best solution, but I am willing to let go of this option if I can have my databases backed up in any other way.

2) My main concern is to make sure the data on the other drive is Safe. Can I put that as a slave in another machine running say 2003 with SQL server on it. Can the SQL server back up the data from the slave drive?

3) I have an extra hard drive that I want to have the SQL server back up the databases onto the new hard drive.

Please help. I would really really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Kode

A couple of options:

a) Slave the Maxtor into another server/PC then you can recover the data that way from the drive

b) Install another disk into your server and install a fresh copy of NT onto it

You won't get SQL proper, but you can get the data off the Maxtor. Not too sure if you can just copy files across or just perform an export of some sort though?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I am trying to install a parallel copy of WInNT on the same 9GB SCSI drive. NT doesnt recognize the drive. I could find the drivers for the SCSI host adapter. But not for the hard drive itself. IT is IBM Ultrastar. Any Ideas how and where I can get the driver for it?

The other route - having Maxtor as slave, I think I would be able to just copy the data off of it to another drive.
But how will SQL be able to get that data though?

I am thinking if I attach this maxtor as a slave to another machine running SQL server and attach the databases to the SQL server thru the enterprise manager. And then back that database to Hard disk. Is that possible?

Thanks for your replies

I was able to repair the installation using old Win NT CD. Now the funny part is it, NT boots when I just have SCSI drive. When I have the IDE drive and SCSI together, it somehow looks to the IDE drive for OS. I know this has to do with Drive letter assignments etc. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, my SQL databases are on the IDE maxtor drive. Iwill copy that drive to a new drive so that data will be safe. But my real question is -

Can I use that data with a new SQL server to build my databases back? Can you attach the databases to a new SQL server with out deattachign first, and this will be SQL 2000, the old data is from SQL7.

Kode

Thanks so much guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back