Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT boot problem, no boot disk.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohort

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
When booting my system, it stops and tells me that the NT Logon Process has terminated unexpectedly.

I am attempting to get in to repair this, but I find that I have no boot disks, and the computer will not boot off of CD.

I have the NT 4 Workstation install CD from Jan 2001's MSDN subsription, but no boot disks to be found, nor is there an obvious bootdisk creation method.

This is the first time dealing with NT4 for me... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a working system, place the CD in the drive. Navigate, through the command line, to the i386 folder on the cd. Type "winnt32.exe /ox", and it will prompt you to label and insert the disks.

The only working system I have is a Windows 98 box, and running that command gives me an error: "Program is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL"

I see the file local to the current directory (on cd), so I set the path, in the command line, to the cd's i386 directory, to no avail.

Try winnt.exe /ox It's in the same folder as winnt32 and will do the same thing for you/

Ok, this got me going.. Thanks for the assistance, guys.

Now that I have it booting the setup disks, I find that it won't use the data off the CDROM for use in repairing the current installation.

I would like to avoid, if at all possible, reinstalling. I don't relish the idea of trying to recreate someone else's setup.

Do I just need to copy the files from the CD's SUPPORT directory, or is there a setup program for that process?

If you don't have an ERD and the system can't find the NT installation then you are probably out of luck. If this is an OEM installed system the installation files it needs MAY be located on C:\i386, but that's a stretch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back