Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percival

Technical User
Jan 26, 2000
US
I am on NT server 4. 0 SP5. We have a HP 1533A SCSI tape DDS-2 DAT drive. We cannot get NT backup utility to work. It can recognize the drive and the drivers startup BUT it will not read the drive. We upgraded the firmware from 9503 to 9608 as reconmmended at the Microsoft Technet site. <br>
<br>
The SCSI interface is configured correctly (device 2). We also have a RAID card if that matters. It works fine. One other thing - we have ARCSERVE that has been working fine; we need to restore a valuable tape backed up by NT backup however, so we need to deal with this. HELP!

What do you mean it won't read the drive? If it detects the device, try to run a Catalog on the tape drive. This should cause it scan the tape looking for a catalog in preparation for a restore. If the tape was created with NTBACKUP, it should run the catalog on the tape. If it says that the tape is in a unrecognizable format, try doing the catalog through ArcServe. Although the backup was made using NTBACKUP, ArcServe may be able to recognize it. If this doesn't work, I would then try an eval edition of Backup Exec. If the tape is usable, Backup Exec will be able to read it.

The error states that it detects the tape drive and the driver has started, but it's not responding. It thinks that the cable is in wrong or something. The drive works fine with the ArcserveIT and the RAID controller is working and visible as well. I don't know what's causing the problem.

Is this a externel tape drive and if so, how long is the cable connecting from the tape drive to the server?

A couple of things<br>
Does ARCSERVE in fact work with that HP tape unit.<br>
you probably need to call both of them<br>
<br>
Does &quot;NT backup&quot; see or work with the Tape unit<br>
See if you can backup up or restore a few files.<br>
<br>

Yes, Arcserve Works Perfect. No, NT Backup does not work with the tape unit. The error states that it detects the tape drive and the driver has started, but it's not responding. It thinks that the cable is in wrong or something. I'm really stumped. I went to technet and they said to check my SCSI config and upgrade the drives Firmware. I did both and still it doesn't work.

Did you call HP? 1-208-323-2551<br>
They are very good at tech support of their products.<br>
I call then alot for Jetdirect problems and we have a HP Surestore 24 gig here which they helped me get working.<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back