Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nt backup fail over the network, hotfix already applied, batch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 1999
US
Nt backup fail over the network, hotfix already applied, batchfiles work when not used with the scheduler service.<br>
when I try the workaround suggested in technet, I get <br>
you do not have the proper permissions to access portions of the XX server.<br>
<br>
when I change the bacth file to match the microsoft work around I can reach the network share, but get the error message, NO files selected for back up.<br>
<br>
It is starting to tick me off, I have to dial in and remotlely run the back up of network shares at three a.m.<br>
<br>
any help would be apreaciated.<br>
<br>
<A HREF="mailto:wsweeney@atrex-inc.com">wsweeney@atrex-inc.com</A><br>

When I run the backup scripts acording to the sample in TECHNET, I get the error you do not have permissions to access portions of the x server.<br>
When I change the account that the scheduler service uses to run, I get the error no files were selected for backup.<br>

Have you tried to change the settings for your backup while *IN* the account the scheduler uses to run.?

yes, it was using the administrator account, now it is useing the default local system account.<br>

I ran across the same exact problem when I was trying to backup a NetWare volume from an NT Workstation. What I found out was that there is a bug in NT on this level. The schedule service logs in as a user in and of itself and it is a question of rights (thats why it says &quot;no files were selected for backup&quot;) The workaround is to in the batch file create a map using the &quot;net use x: \\computer_name\drive&quot; command to use an unused drive letter then backup that letter. At the end of the batch file do a &quot;net use x: /d&quot;. Interestingly if you don't delete the map in the batch file, you can't even access that letter manually. You don't have rights to access the mapping that the schedule service created! Good luck.

Thanks, one and all, Problem resolved.<br>
It turned out that I never logged off the administrator account and logged back in. Nt has a nasty habit of needing to re log in to activate new permissions.<br>
<br>
Thanks to Jsauce and to number5 for all the help....<br>
<br>
Will Sweeney<br>
Machineman2000<br>
<A HREF="mailto:wsweeney@atrex-inc.com">wsweeney@atrex-inc.com</A><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back