Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Authentication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavanKumarU

Programmer
Jan 31, 2003
US
Hello all,
I have a 'process' related question. First a little background on our evironment:
We are using Crystal Report Application Server 9
with SQL Server 2000 and asp coding.
We have developed an application in asp where users can select a report, provide values to the stored procedure parameters, view the report output using the activeX viewer. To log on to the report as well as the database we are using single userid, that we have provided with the system dsn on the web server as well as hard coded in the asp app.
Now we want to do this:
We would like to move away from this hardcoding of userid and password and provide NT authentication login. In other words, a user, when logged into our corporate enviroment, should be able to access reports and run them WITHOUT asp providing any specific logon, but to use the current users logon. I am not able to get this working. Any ideas?
I have checked Crystal's website and support groups, in vain.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Pavan

Hi i am instantiating CR Viewer in Cold Fusion & VB Script code and connecting DB dynamically to view report on browser.

though i am not using NT authentication, following is my idea.

1.get NT authentication info either into Client Variables or Server side variable for that session.
2. Use that in following code if same/similar for ActiveX viewver too..

websource0.AddParameter "user0" "NT UserId from Variable"
websource0.AddParameter "user0" "NT pwd from Variable"

it would help you to work out your req i think..
Pls let me know if this idea works for you sothat i can also implement if i need to do same in my app in future..

thanks
Rama Kommineni

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
I will try that and see. But just as a headsup....we did this:
We changed the 'service' log on parameters on the IIS box for RAS. We changed from "Log on as Local account" to "Log on as" and provided a sql logon, in which RAS could run. But then RAS tried running as that logon, and not as the user who currently logged on (for that session) using his/her windows login info.
When we contacted crystal they came back saying there is no security in RAS (and they were talking about Crystal Enterprise 8 when we asked them about RAS 9). I dunno when they will learn cusomer support.
Anywayz thanks for the info and i will try the method you suggested.
Pavan

following are also useful links

This file contains 11 sample Active Server Pages (ASP) applications utilizing the Crystal Report Designer Component (RDC). They help demonstrate the different methods and properties available to the web developer such as: dynamically logging on to a datasource, changing selection criteria, and exporting a report at runtime.

A set of 14 sample Active Server Pages (ASP) applications utilizing the Crystal Report Designer Component (RDC). They help demonstrate the different methods and properties available to the web developer such as: dynamically logging on to a datasource, changing selection criteria, and exporting a report at runtime.

Hi, Are you able to integrate or validate NT longon credentials with CR reports? Appriciate your info on this..

thanks,
Ram

No. We kind of put it on hold for now as our company is planning to migrate to Crystal Enterprise. I am sorry for not being able to help. I will let you know if we do anything with NT authentication.
Thanks
Pavan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back