Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Admin permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMW

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2001
US
Sorry, I am new to the NT world. I would like to know what is the difference between Administrator and Domain Adminstrator? I only have one single domain here. Thanks.

A Domain administrator has an account on the PDC and may administer any server in the domain.

The other type of Administrator is a local administrator, that may only administer a specific server.

Hope this helps

Thanks, CitrixEngineer!

So if I create an Admin account on a member server, this Admin only has the Admin permission on this local machine right?

I have another qustion here, could you tell me how ofter shuold I create an emergency disk?

Thank you again,

BMW

Presumably your talking about an ERD - Emergancy repair disk. Your prompted to create this on build - one per server should suffice but I generally dont bother with the w/s - just use ghost and run newsid on them.

HTH.

I do a new erd anytime I update software or service packs. May seem anal but I like to have an up to date copy.

Tgoodman

I'll create a new ERD anytime I'm going to do anything significant to a production server. I'll spend the 5 minutes to build the ERD, so that if things go wrong I'm not rebuilding the server at 3:30 in the morning...

The ERD is your Golden Parachute...

:cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

On my BDC, I get the following message:

The servers NTSERV1 and NTBDC1 both claim to be an NT Domain Controller for the JAW.COM domain. One of the servers should be removed from the domain because the servers have different security identifiers (SID).

How can I correct this? 1. Do I remove the BDC from the domain and then re-establish it or what?

Someone prior to me accidentally promoted the BDC in error and I would love to correct this other than reloading NT Server again...Help
Thanks for any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back