Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 embedded Event Log showing Bad Blocks accumulating

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmcevoy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2009
US
I have an early model BCM running 3.7.

I VNC'd to the NT 4 embedded console to check on a running service, and I noticed some errors starting to accumulate in the NT System Event Log about Bad Blocks and ATAPI issues to Hardisk\5. A look at Disk Administrator shows this to be the LogFiles disk E: I think. Is this a likely sign that the disk is about to fail?

If I replace the hard disk, is there an image of 3.7 I can just Ghost back to a new bare drive? Once I do that, how about the Keycodes and configs?

I run a daily BRU backup to another server, and this is working.

I'd suggest you call your vendor. He will replace the drive with a Bcm 3.7 replacement drive, will do the initialization then restore your backup. About 2 hours job in total and save a lot of headache.

I don't have much confidence in my vendor, is there a good resource where I can find a great BCM aware tech in my area (Sacramento, California)?

I'm in Montreal but i guess one of the members could be in your area.Anybody??

Still would love to find a local 'BCM Master' to help our company out.

An update on my Bad Blocks - We shut the system down last night to try and suck an image of the drive up before it totally died. The Logs drive was having severe trouble.

But, we lucked out. When we had done the 3.7 update (2006), we had decided to update onto a new Hard drive (which has turned out to be the one that died). We happily discovered we had cloned the freshly udpate 3.7 install back to the original drive, that was still sitting in the BCM chassis, just not plugged in (good lord - advance disaster planning!!!) (except we forgot)

We swapped that drive in, booted, and it came up clean (we were just back to 2006 for our settings). We confirmed the version was exactly the same, then ran the BRU restore from the last nights backup. Took about 20 mins to restore, and then we restarted, came up clean it appears, all our latest licensing in place, etc.

Are there any other things I should check after such a restore??

spmcevoy ....
I would be glad to assist at any time.
Too bad I didn't see your post sooner, it's fairly simple to clean the drive up.
The E: partition is very much like a temp folder, a lot of things get put there for updates, or transfers, and are never cleaned up.

-SD-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back