Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 and 2K permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
I just removed three win 98 machines and replaced with win 2000 machines.We also have one 2000 machine that is sharing the printer through microsoft sharing.The problem is that if we log on to the server everthing works except the Corel
wordperfect word processor.It says that it can't initialize it.All three machines were setup at a location without a server present so we had ruled out that it is needing the server to launch Corel.Now if you log on to the workstation locally Corel works just fine but now we have a problem printing.Can anybody tell me what the heck is going on. Thanks

What OS is the server? Are you running a domain or workgroup and how is the printer shared (a workstation or the server?). Does Corel not open on the server when you log onto the server locally? More information is needed.

HI.

This could be a permissions issue at the client computers.

Try this first (at the W2K pro workstation):
Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Groups - Power Users
Now add the "Domain Users" group from the domain (the server) to the local "Power Users" group at the workstation.

(You must do this as an administrator of the workstation ofcourse).

If this does not help, try adding the "Domain Users" or only the specific user account that is using this workstation to the *LOCAL* Administrators group.
This will give the user full access to everything on the workstation (like Win9x) but will not change his permissions to the server.

There are other possible solutions, like using secedit at the workstation.
Have you searched corel support site?

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

I'm sorry but putting it in this forum I thought you would know but it is a Win NT 4.0 server with service pack 6a.Logging on to a domain and the printer is connected directly to a win 2000 workstation that also is logged into the domain and shared.I have already tried to give the user administrator rights to the workstation but that didn't work.I have gone to Corels website and there are a ton on problems dealing with initialize but the latest was resolved in 1998 two years before the 2000 workstations came out.It said to remove Corel and reinstall it as an administrator of that machine which I did when I setup the machine but I'll try it again.I will try the power user, domain users thing tonight and see if it fixes it.Thanks for the response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back