Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 server, win 98 clients, need help connecting clients to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturgis14

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
US
How do you connect win 98 clients to a nt 4.0 server? The server is setup as a primary domain controller, and the domain name is Novice. I have backoffice server installed on the server comp, but that shouldn't be a factor while setting everthing up. Please tell me what all the settings should be!! It will be used as a proxy server eventually, so i need to use "net safe" ips. I have a DNS service and RAS service running also. It will be used also as a VPN server, and I need to have RAS open to IP requests. I need this so users with cable and DSL can connnect as well as dial-up. How do you open RAS to IP connections?

Thanks for any help!

You have to install Client for Microsoft Networks on the 98 computer. (Control Panel --- Networking----Configuration)

On the Identifiation Tab, fill in computer name, workgroup etc.

Go back to the configuration tab, double click on the newly installed client for microsoft networks, and mark Log on to the Windows NT domain. Reboot the machine the machine and you will be prompted with a username, password and domain.

At least with Win95 it worked that way

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

I have client for microsoft networks installed, i did fill out the identification, and i checked the domain box, typed in the domain and all that. Before adding my server, I had a peer to peer network with 12 98 machines on it, so i do know stuff about this. I think my problem is more server side than client side, and I need help configuring the server.

Any help is great!

I suggest you buy
Mastering Windows NT Server4 from Mark Minasi
Chapter 18 has about 90 pages covering RAS

It is more worth then the price S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

what exactly is the error message? Do you see the network log on dialogue box asking for username, password and the domain.

You haven't mentioned DHCP are you using DHCP? Also for clients to login to a domain you need to setup the users on the NT4 server.

No i'm not using DHCP, yes I can see the log on box asking for username/password and the domain. I get an error along the lines of "this windows NT domain cannot be found..." I did set up the user on the server with user manager, and classified it as a domain user. The client does have an awfully slow recieving network card on it. It sends at full speed, but recieves very slow. This might be a factor, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for all the help!

I just looked at the Control Panel/Settings/Network on my PDC and the fussiest items seem to be in the TCP/IP Properties. First, click the IP ADDRESS Tab. Be sure that the button for "Specify an IP Address" is checked, then that you have filled in an IP Address, then that your Subnet mask is right for the address. Next, mine has the Default Gateway as the same IP Address that shows two lines above. I pressed the "Advanced" button and found that I have never touched anything therein and have just accepted the defaults that got carried over from the above stuff.

I clicked the WINS ADDRESS Tab and found that the Primary WINS Server was the same IP Address as above for the IP Address and Default Gateway.

Finally, since you are not using DHCP, be sure that the IP address and subnet mask are filled in correctly in the TCP/IP properties on your client.

Good look.

Windows uses name resolution to locate and identify a domain controller. You should have the WINS service loaded on your server, and the address of the WINS server in the TCP/IP configuration on the client. Barring that, you can accomplish the same (in a small environment) by using an LMHOSTS file. You'll need the following line in the LMHOSTS file (not LMHOSTS.SAM) on each client:

1.2.3.4 servername #PRE #DOM:Novice

Substitute the IP address and name of your domain controller. The #PRE switch tells the system to preload this onformation, and the #DOM switch identifies this entry as a domain controller.

Hope this helps... :) - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Try to follow these few step when you are done let me know if it work or not:

1)Right click on Network Neighborhood.
2)Click Property.
3)Client for Microsoft Network
4)Click property and make sure you are log on to Window NT Domain.
5)Make sure on Window NT domain to give your domain name.
6)Check logon on restore network connection.
7)Click On the TCP/IP
8)click on the property
9)Specify your IP Address. Make sure it is unique from the other computer.
10)Put in your Submask
11)On your gateway tab put your gateway address.
12)on your DNS tab click enable DNS and give a unique host name.
13)finally give your DNS sever address

It will be easier if I know your IP address and your gateway address I can walk you step by step

Also you will need an account that has Domain Admin access rights to add the machine to the domain. We use a specifc account that is always used to add any machines to the domain.

Ulaa, I thaught that only NT servers and NT workstation computers could be added to the domain. A 95 or 98 machine will not be part of the domain, however it makes use of the shared properties of NT machines.
Maybe in 2000 this changed? S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Or goto the NT Server machine and add the computer to the dmain.

If I remember correctly, there has to be a user account and a computer account on the server.

Admin tools, Computer accounts or somthing like this. Add computer to domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back