Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 Server Rebooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator10

MIS
Apr 17, 2003
US
Morning All!

I was wondering if anyone has run into this or similar problem. I have a NT 4.0 server, last one of its kind thank god, that seems to want to reboot periodically. Usually about twice a day. The only common thing I have found so far is that if I leave the PcAnywhere service running it happens and If I stop the service, it doesn't. I know this is very vague and I'm grabbing at straws here but I was hoping somebody may have encountered this or something alike. Not a whole lot of help on MS site. Just FYI, I have PcAnywhere running on several of my servers and those are fine. I don't suspect its the culprit but who knows? Thanks for any help with this.

I know this sounds simple, but is someone connecting to the server using PC anywhere, and rebooting it. Is there anything in the Event logs?

Andy

The only thing that comes up in EV is "The previous system shut down at [time] on [date] was unexpected." along with normal service control manager messages.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you use PC anywhere for, is it just admin and help desk stuff and is it very necessary?

Have you had a look at you general security of the network, i.e. General password and account configuration, firewall and antivirus software.

I would also look through the EV not necessarilly for little red dots, but just to see if you can see anyone logging in who shouldn't be, as it should all be there.

I am no expert I am afraid, but this is the first place I would look at. If that is all fine, and you are sure no one is hacking in for a laugh(to be honest, I don't know if that really happens, but some peeps are silly), then I would go more into the nitty gritty and find out how pc anywhere works, see if it causes conflicts.

Hope this gives a bit of inspiration.
Regards
Rob

Check under your system properties...have you unchecked the option for automatically reboot? I know that sounds simple - but sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

If you narrowed it down to the server not rebooting when you stop the PCANywhere service then what about uninstalling and reinstalling Symantec PCAnywhere?

Another thought - What hardware are you running this on - there are several threads on this siteof servers (Particularly Dell's, which I have experience of) rebooting for no apparent reason, but appearing to be software related, but actually the cause is hardware/drivers.

Something to look at.

Cheers,

Andrew

I am running into the same problem with a client of mine and there is nothing in the error log. Lastweek I watched it black screen and then reboot. I narrowed it down to large file transfers to and from the server cause this to happen. I replaced NIC card than the power supply. Finally replaced the motherboard (it is a Pentum III) that cured the problem. Now the new problem is the Mirroring controler will not work with new motherboard.

1) i would definately check out whether you have the system set to not automatically reboot. this will keep it from rebooting if it is software related. ie- if it is a bug it will bluescreen and give the stop code you need to fix the problem.

2) i agree with andrew. especially if it still reboots after you set it not to. if it was someone logging into pcanywhere and rebooting the server i don't think you would get a "previous shutdown unexpected" error. instead i would replace at least the motherboard. dell (i don't know what server you have but i had this problem on a dell) knows that some motherboards it delivered last year on at least the 2550 has the uncanny ability to crack a capacitor that causes this random unexpected rebooting.

my 2 cents,

If this is only happening with PC anywhere, check that PC anywhere does not have the reboot host PC option checked in the properties in the host section

Is your server hooked up to a UPS unit? If, so check to see if you have any software that interacts with the unit. I was running into strange reboots every Sunday and it was the UPS software that was scheduling the reboot. Something else to check I guess.

Tim

I have had a similar problem here in the last couple of weeks - Server seemed to crash, but was actually still running. No one could onnect to it so the only way to get it running again was to reboot. Gave the same error message - Unexpected shutdown. Turned out the AC was on its way out and the temp inside the server was getting too high.

Thanks Andrew! Fortunately this problem has been resolved. I've upgrade this box to Win2K and it's humming along. I do have Proxy server that is doing what you described above. It's happened a couple of times the last few weeks. Users loose connectivity, server is pingable but locked up. Only resolution is to reboot. I didn't think about AC problem. Will take a look. Thanks again to all responses.

Thanks Andrew! Fortunately this problem has been resolved. I've upgraded this box to Win2K and it's humming along. I do have Proxy server that is doing what you described above. It's happened a couple of times the last few weeks. Users loose connectivity, server is pingable but locked up. Only resolution is to reboot. I didn't think about AC problem. Will take a look. Thanks again to all responses.

Thanks Andrew! Fortunately this problem has been resolved. I've upgraded this box to Win2K and it's humming along. I do have Proxy server that is doing what you described above. It's happened a couple of times the last few weeks. Users loose connectivity, server is pingable but locked up. Only resolution is to reboot. I didn't think about AC problem. Will take a look. Thanks again to all responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back