Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 server Login issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanCStew

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
Hello all!

I have got a serious problem, I am the admin of a network of approx 90 computers, we have 3 NT servers running, one for file sharing, one for Exchange, and one running as our proxy/DNS server. The PDC is the proxy/DNS. About 2 months ago, we restarted our servers, and when we went to log into them everything appeared to be working fine, but on the exchange server and on the file server, we keep getting a logoff in progress, network connections being closed que, and then we are kicked right back out to the login screen. Now, even though the servers say network connections are being closed, both servers are still handling the exchange and file sharing services normally. They also still handle network logins. I think that it has something to do with the sam in the registry. I would rsisk the drives, but they are scsi drives, and rdisk does not seem to work on them. has anyone else experienced this problem? and if so, how did you fix it?

just a question when you brought these server back up did you make sure that your PDC was fully operational before bringing these other 2 servers online ??? is your PDC over loaded, can you log onto the other 2 servers locally ??

hello and thanks for replying,

Yes the pdc was back up and running prior to the others coming up, and no the server is not overloaded. The other server do not have the option to log on locally, the only selection at logon is the domain, I have been trying to find out how to change that, I know that there is a registry key to do that, but I am not sure where it is. I was planning on taking the system drives out, and hooking them up as secondary drives on another computer, and then replacing the config directory in the system 32 folder, do you think that would work?

to enable a local logon on the servers open user manager then go to policys then user rights,in the scrool box ther sould be an entry called log on locally.
add the groups you want to log on locally to the sever to this list.

hth

Marc Turner

If they are Domain Controllers then you can't log on to anything but the domain.

Ozdog,

That is correct. Is there a way to repair the registry on a scsi drive without using rdisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back