Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 - list directory and file permission by user and/or group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveon

MIS
Nov 7, 2001
US
Is there a command or utility available for NT 4.0 that will give me the functionally to list all the files and directories, within the domain, that a particular user or user group has permissions to?

I doubt one exists with the 'search and scour' abilities that you are implying. Since permissions like you describe will all be stored at the file level and not centrally, such a tool would have to be able to check every file and resource in your domain to compile such a list.

The only tools I know that come close to doing anything like that are tools for backups. The tool would also have to read the resource fork or alternate data stream to obtain user and group GUID/SID information, so it would need to have the basic functionality of a tool like SHOWACLS (NT Resource Kit) but filter by GUID/SID and not by permission assigned. You might take a look at SHOWACLS and see if it does what you want. Hope this helps.

ShackDaddy

Try Somarsoft's DUMPACL ( although I think the app's name may have changed. Its a free download and shows you alot of information on users/files/folders/shares and permissions associated to them.

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back