Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 and IE 4.01 SP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyran

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
If I understand correctly, IE 4.01 SP2 included a desktop update that basically made NT's desktop work like that of 98 and 2000. I'm doing a fresh install of NT 4.0 on a new server (to later upgrade the domain to 2000), but I can't seem to find IE 4.01 SP2 available anywhere.

Do any of the later versions of IE contain this enhancement, or does anyone know where I can get my hands on this version of IE?

at a minimum you should be running IE 5.5 SR2, there are way too many security issues to run _any_ IE older.

you can download the install program for IE from a few sites that don't have all the advanced features supported by post IE 4.0 browsers.

so,
if you can get 3.0 or 4.0 on there, you should be able to download 6.0, but it may take some digging to find a site that you can bring up an actual web page.. can also ftp from microsoft.

All I want to do is install the Desktop Update. I plan on updating IE to the latest version once I have the desktop update on the machine.

i suppose you have your own reasons for wanting the desktop update on your server, but i for one would be very reluctant to use this on a production server.

Why would you be reluctant to use it? Are there any vulnerabilities I should know about?

Because for a production server stability is paramount. Adding window dressing like the desktop update can cause instability in the user interface. This might be seen as the console freezing or even a random reboot. So unless there is a overriding need for web content on the desktop of your server(?), I would jump directly to IE 5.5 SP2 as your browser. and don't forget the various security rollup packages released since NTSP6a.

That answers my question. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back