Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NSSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkLips

ISP
Jan 27, 2004
US
An ABR is a router with interfaces belonging to more than one area. A Stub is a router with one gateway (one way in, one way out).
Question: What is a NSSA and can you please provide an example? I'm so confused. Sorry I'm a newbie to OSPF:)

Thanks,
Nicole

A Stub is not necessarily one router, it can be a group of routers, however they will all be in the same OSPF area and have no other routing protocols (or static routes) configured. The routing table of all routers in the area will contain internal OSPF routes (intra area), Inter Area OSPF routes and potentially one external default route (but no other E1 or E2 type routes). To send traffic out of the area they must send it via an ABR that borders the area they are in and the backbone.
A Total Stub is the same but Inter Area routes are filtered and only Inter Area (Internal) OSPF routes and a single External default are allowed.
A NSSA Area is the same as a stub however special external routes are allowed - i.e. a router in the area could be redistributing another routing protocol into OSPF. These will be advertised as N1 or N2 type External routes.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I think I understand now...

Thanks,
Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.