Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nsrexec restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevkar

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
Hello Pro's,

I recently added a few NT servers to a 6.1.1 legato server (unix) and the backups run fine until they are rebooted.
Unfortunately, the NT servers are scheduled to reboot every weekend and after the reboot the backups fail with the error: User root on host xxxxx cannot request command execution.
Although, the services start automatically after the reboot, I have to restart networker again to get a good backup, I don't mind restarting the services. But, I would hope that this will not be a weekly occurrence due to rebooting the servers!!
Is there a fix for this issue..
Thanks in advance.

jeevkar

It manual backups from the clients work fine ...
make sure that the client will listen to the right server:
- change the file ..\nsr\res\servers at the client appropriately
- then restart the client service (nsrexecd)

Also, check the hosts file and your DNS.
loopback needs to work as do IP address and reverse lookup.

Hello TDun & 605,

Thank you both for the quick response.
Well, here is what I have, pls. look into it at your leisure and let me know if I need to change anything.

Legato Server (unix): pepsi
is on a private lan with two Gig cards (vge00 & vge10)attached to 2 switches. so, DNS or NIS is out of the picture.
All entries of each other on both (server & client)is referenced through the hosts file.
On the server in the /etc/hosts file I have
10.128.106.248 mtdew
On the client (mtdew) in the %SystemDrive%\Program Files\nsr\res\servers file
pepsi-vge00
pepsi-vge10
and %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts has: 10.128.104.50 pepsi-vge00 pepsi
10.128.104.58 pepsi-vge10 pepsi

Look forward to your recommandations and thanks in advance.

Sorry of my limited network knowledge, but does this make sense?
- Do you reference any client interface in the server's hosts file?
- Do you reference the server in the client's host file?
- You have the two network cards at the client in the same subnet.
- You have the server's interface in another subnet.
- To which switch is the client connected?
- Did you specify the server's network interface for the client?
- Why don't you add the 'pepsi' in the client's servers file?
Worst case (in a safe environment), you can delete this
file.
- But whenever you made changes to the servers file or in case you deleted it, you MUST restart the client (nsrexecd)

Did it work at all so far? What about manual backups?

Hello instructor,

I wish I was as knowledgeable as you are, anyway,
to answer your questions, the backup switches are truncated and yes, the backups work fine until the clinet is rebooted but, I am having to to restart nsrexecd again in order to get a good backup and my question is, why is the agents requiring to be re-started even though it started automatically after the reboot.
BTW, I have added the servers name in the servers file on the client per your suggestion.
Hope this helps to nail the problem.

??? You never stop learning ... or you give up.

Autostarting the NW client at boot time is fine. However, the servers file will only be read when the client is started. So whenever you change the contents, you have to restart the service.

Unfortunately i have never setup a network scenario like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back