Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nsrd: Media emergancy: cannot fetch volume db entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanks

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2001
DE
Hi!

I am running Legato Networker Version 6.0.2 running on Solaris 2.7. Just recently My cloning has been producing the following
nsrclone: error, cannot fetch volume db entry. When I try to recover directories on to NT clients I am getting a similar error. In my daemon.log file I have a nsrd:Media emergancy: cannot fetch volume db entry. Has anyone seen this before I
think my media database is corrupt? Is there a way out of this?

Thanks

John

Your media database is stuffed.....try the following and it may fix it, if it doesnt then you have no other option but to delete the medcia index and either start it cleanly (and recover thru scanner any info previously backed up), or recover from the last known good bootstrap....

but try:
shutdown networker
remove /nsr/mm/.compressed.
cd down into the mm directory
remove all the files in here, EXCEPT the following files:
-clients.0
-ss.0
-vol.0
-volHdr

(remove the files with any numbers and the files with the "i" with the number....)
be careful here........

restart networker, and it will rebuild the media header files...

if this fails, recreation and recovery necessary....

I haven't seen may people complain of this lately, but i have had two big server get corruption in the last 2 months.....

Try following :

1.eject all tapes from the devices
nsrjb -vvvEH

2. Stop networker
/sbin/init.d/networker stop

3. nsrck -F
If errors occur like media database is not running, ignore it first

4. Start Networker
/sbin/init.d/networker start

5. wait 2-5 minutes

6. do nsrck -L6

7. Stop again Networker

8. Start Networker again

9. Do again nsrck -L6 and after this nsrim -X

10. get an inventory of the jukebox nsrjb -vI

You can also run "nsrck -m". This will rebuild the b-tree index entries in the media database.

I have found that this usually fixes this fetch error, but I also agree with previous replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back