Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nsrck Runs every night

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEsser

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
US
nsrck runs every night at 22:00 on all clients. I know this is normal, but it takes about an hour and my backups stop while it's doing this. It there a way to change the time this runs?

If you are using unix, then touch the nsr/mm/nsrim.prv file. It will run the jobs at a point when it sees that this file is older than 23/24 hours.
On NT/Win2000, then run nsrim -X which should touch the file, settings it's time.

Thankyou, That worked. The nsrck now runs at a more reasonable time. BTW I'm running 6.1.2 on Solaris.

I'm having another problem as well. When the nsrck runs, it kills the machine. I see out of 4822 processes 4582 are zombies with all 10 CPUs maxed out. I'm also seeing an extreamly high amount of mutex spins that are killing the system. Any ideas?

Log a separate thread for this, but you could try running nsrck on individual client names and see if it is only one client causing it as a first step.

Bug you need the patched nsrim . Some developer got cute and parrallized the index crosscheck that nsrim does. Patched version does one at a time. I had same issue.

joe

same with us
calling nsrck -MX manually runs fine one client after the other.
Letting nsrd do that job parallelized all the nsrck of our 200+ clients.
The machine had a load of about 20, the cluster scripts did not complete and restarted the networker. So we did a little workaround.

touch /nsr/mm/nsrim.priv every 12 hours
then run a script that does the nsrck by steps of 4 clients at a time. Not very elegant but it helps a lot. This script waits for all 4 nsrck to complete before starting the next four.

Hope it helps a little...

johanes

#!/bin/ksh

DEBUG=""
clients=`nsradmin -s SERVER -i -<<EOF | egrep - iv &quot;current.*query.*set&quot; | sort -u | sed -e 's/name: //g' -e 's/;//g' -e 's/ //g'
. type: NSR Client
show name
print
EOF
`

numclients=`echo $clients | wc -w`

set -A aClients $clients
cnt=0

while [ $cnt -lt $numclients ]; do
[ -n &quot;${aClients[$cnt]}&quot; ] && $DEBUG nsrck -MX ${aClients[$cnt]} &
[ -n &quot;${aClients[$((cnt+1))]}&quot; ] && $DEBUG nsrck -MX ${aClients[$((cnt+1))]} &
[ -n &quot;${aClients[$((cnt+2))]}&quot; ] && $DEBUG nsrck -MX ${aClients[$((cnt+2))]} &
[ -n &quot;${aClients[$((cnt+3))]}&quot; ] && $DEBUG nsrck -MX ${aClients[$((cnt+3))]} &
wait
cnt=$((cnt+4))
done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back