Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NSR quit writing to messages file

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallender

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2006
US
Problem: My AIX 5.2 7.2.1 Networker quit writing to the /nsr/logs/messages file. The last message in the file is

Feb 22 23:57:10 nhcaix17 root: NetWorker index: (emergency) IO_WritePage write failed - Invalid file system control data detected (89)

I've shutdown nsr, moved the orig log files (messages, summary, and savegroup) to a new name, and restarted nsr to see if it was a space issue. All but the savegroup file was recreated, but it may once a backup runs.

Legato support says filesystem corruption. I ran a fsck and the filesystem is ok! I don't buy this and I'm waiting on a callback

I am currently running a nsrck -L7, and I'm not sure how long it's going to run?

Anybody got any ideas!

If the savegrp.log file is missing, this is obvious. By default, on UNIX/Linux, NW sends this information as a mail to the root user. This file should only exist on a NW server for Windows.

I wonder what you have done to your system. Did you try to move a NW server from Windows to AIX?

Instructor,

No, this server has been in service for about 7 years now. Only upgrades from the 6.x days of Legato.

The last entry in the messages file was Feb 22, 2007 at 11:57PM. Is there anything significant about Networker to stop working on this date and time?

I have recreated the savegrp.log file. and will restart the daemons to see if anything new appears....

Any other ideas?

No - this would have appeared by now. No idea. But i would look at my notifications. And the daemon.log file.

daemon.log is updating accordingly.

Just don't know why the messages file won't update?

What i mean is that i would closely look at the daemon.log file on that specific date.

Hello,

you should check on the notification named Log Default. It should say something like logger -p daemon.notice. If this looks alright, make sure syslogd is started and have a look in the /etc/syslog.conf and see if you can determine why the logging doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back