Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nslookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

muosman

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
GB
when I did an nslookup on my server it came back server unknown so I added a pointer to the DNS reverse lookup and it now comes back with the server name. Have I done the right thing? can anyone explain.

\\muos o(-_-)o

Without a reverse record (PTR) the IP address could not be resolved to a name. Now that you have added the record it can.

It's like my neigbor didn't know the name of my cat so to her it was 'cat unknown'. Since I told her the name of the cat she can now reference it by name ;-)

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

I would have thought that was a part of the DNS setup not something you add yourself. What would be the impact or problems from not adding the record(PTR)

\\muos o(-_-)o

Let's get this straight. You did an nslookup on your server, right? Does that mean that you were on the server and did an nslookup for some other hostname from that server or were you trying to resolve your servers name?

"so I added a pointer to the DNS reverse lookup"

How did you do this? I took this as meaning you created a PTR record for the IP address in question.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

I would have thought that was a part of the DNS setup not something you add yourself. What would be the impact or problems from not adding the record(PTR)
Sorry, but the world we live in is not perfect. What Chris told you is 100% correct. In an ideal situation, when dns is installed, all things fall into place and everything works great. In our world, maybe 80% falls into place, and 20% helped create this site. The PTR is exactly what you needed. I would like to hear the awnsers to Chris' other questions, though.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

muosman

I'm not sure how you added a PTR to the Reverse Lookup, but I believe that by default that for any record you create in the Forward Lookup Zone, with the option for Creating a PTR selected, then this will automatically appear in the Reverse Lookup Zone, if it doesnt then you haven't configured it properly.

Steveh24

Actually, if DNS and DHCP is set up right in the first place, there should be no issues with nslookup...

Is your domain name a FQDN ( a .com) or is it .local?

Run nslookup from a workstation, what is the response.

When you run ipconfig /all from a workstation, what is the result? the IP of domain controller running dns should be the first or only IP in the DNS server IP listing.

If you're having problems with 2000/xp nslookup on workstations, check your event viewer. I'd be willing to bet you have userenv or netlogon errors.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back