Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NSLookup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoustictech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
US
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. When I run an nslookup for our website from inside of the office, it searches for 192.168.0.23 (old computer we no longer use) and gives a timed out response. We've deleted all instances of 192.168.0.23 on our firewall settings but still get this. The XP network settings are set for auto lookup. Any ideas? No idea where to start.

I'd say it's getting this from your IP settings. From a DOS prompt, enter 'ipconfig /all'. If you see 192.168.0.23 in there, you will need to change your IP settings and remove/replace this address.

it definitely shows up as one of the DNS servers there. Would you happen to know where I can change the IP settings for this?

If your IP address has been assigned statically, you can just go into Network Neighborhood and change it there. If it's being assigned dynamically (ie via DHCP), you will need to change the DHCP scope on the DHCP server and configure it to stop sending the old DNS server and send the new one (if applicable).

First things first though, check the Properties of Network Neighborhood and see if the IP address is being assigned dynamically or not.

Go and update the DHCP scope configuration with the new DNS server address and you should be set.

After going into our sonicwall firewall settings, my scope seems to read Dynamic Range: 192.168.0.160 - 192.168.0.250 . It seems to already not have 192.168.0.23 included. Any suggestions? I appreciate the help thus far.

Basically when I run IPConfig and have DNS servers set to auto in XP, i get 192.168.0.23, 192.168.0.15, 192.168.0.13. I only want the last two. This is fixed when I set it to finding DNS manually... but that's only a work around for one computer.

Does your DHCP server seem to assign any DNS server addresses at all? It's possible the DHCP server may not be assigning DNS and the machine in question has been statically configured with it. You can tell if this is the case by opening a DOS prompt and issing the following command: ipconfig /release. If you then re-run the command I asked you to do before (ipconfig /all) and see if the DNS server you don't want is still there. If it is still there, then it's being statically assigned to the PC in question and you'll have to go into the Properties of Network Neighbourhood and remove it from the IP settings. If it isn't there, the Sonicwall is assigning it so there must be some further DHCP settings you haven't discovered yet on the Sonicwall where the DNS addressing has been set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back