Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NS webserver install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

domburi

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2002
US
I went to reinstall the Enterprise webserver and ran into a peculiar problem. When the install got to the screen where you select the IP address and ports, it had a DIFFERENT IP address filled in than what the server is assigned. And when 'Single IP Address' was selected, that IP address box was greyed out - unchangeable.
When I selected Multiple, I could change to the IP address that the server is assigned.
Where did it get this other IP address??? The address is of another Netware server on my network. I'm really confused - what can I do about this???
Thanks!

It may be when the server was first setup Apache was installed and not Netscape...if that was the case then I think Apache would be using that primary address and maybe that's what Netscape is seeing?

Read the previous thread about "can't get web services to run...there's a Novell document listed in there that may help you.

This has been discussed at length...on several NW6 lists. This is how I install NW6 now.

1) Install NW6 and select ALL applications. Disable what you don't need after the install. Apparantly there are some things that don't work exactly right if you don't install it at the same time as the other applications.
2) Apply SP1
3) Apply SP2
4) Apply eDir 8.7 upgrade and WebApps upgrade (I haven't done this step yet...but it's on my list for this week.)

Matt

Thanks Chewie,

I probably did originally install Apache, but I would have never used the IP address that it defaults to because it is already in use on another server. That's the puzzle...

I am currently working my way through the neat document from Novell. I hope it helps me clear up this problem. I'm a bit concerned because this server is my main server and I really can't reinstall NW6 at all but have to somehow just fix the problem as it is.

The ip address is stored in two files I've had the same problem. Go to

\\servname\sys\etc

There is a hosts file and a hostname file look for this suspect IP address in there and change it to the right one then reboot and try your install again.

Ok, I had checked HOSTS but not HOSTNAME - there was a problem there. I fixed it and doublechecked the two config files for Novonyx (obj and magnus).

I restarted Novonyx and now I just get nothing when I try to goto the webpage which should come up. I have Netware Server Manager running but switched the port to 8010. So there should be nothing running on port 80. When I restarted Novonyx (with NSWEBDN then NSWEB) it seemed to come up without any errors.

Do I need to restart the entire server? Is there anywhere else I should troubleshoot?

go onto novell's site and get the utility pkidiag.nlm this will check to see if your SSL certificates are installed correctly. The default port when you click on the link is the secure site of you server. If the SSL certificate objects are screwed you will get that blank page. Unless of course DNS is not working properley or you haven't got a entry in your workstations host file for the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back