Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice's Question: Should I Learn Visual Basic Before VBA? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerSand

Technical User
Oct 25, 2000
US
I increasingly find that I am bumping against problems I can't solve with macros. It is clear that I must become comfortable with VBA and modules. As I look at Developers' guides, I am daunted by the syntax. WOULD I BE BETTER ABLE TO LEARN VBA IN THE ACCESS ENVIRONMENT IF I LEARNED VISUAL BASIC FIRST? Or would this simply be a time-consuming and unproductive detour?

I would value the opinions of Forum members.

Thanks.

JerSand

VBA would be easier to start with than VB, especially if you are an Access developer primarily. Learning VB first would certainly make it EASIER for you to learn VBA, but if your ultimate goal is to program Access db's then it would be a detour. Learning VBA will also give you a jump on learning VB as they are very similar in design and thought process, making it easier for you to learn VB.

What you really need to decide is, do I want to make standalone programs or Access db's? If it's Access db's then go VBA, if it's standalone programs then VB. And though I'm sure many people will flame me for this, I believe it's easier to create programs that are data intensive in Access than it is in VB. Maybe not more robust in the end, but certainly easier to get going. Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Well, Joe, I use Access, VBA and VB and agree entirely with you. Learning VB would certainly be a detour and, I feel, a possible source of confusion if the aim is purely to programme Access databases. I think, in these circumstances, it is just as easy to learn VBA and leave out some of the non-database aspects of VB that would cause confusion. Have fun! :eek:)

Alex Middleton

Joe and Alex,

I'm grateful for your responses. My immediate needs are strictly ACCESS-related, and I will heed your advice (starting with the return of some VB books in which I have not yet broken the seal on the CD.)

JerSand

I am at about the same place, was hoping to take a class in Visual Basic but couldn't find one in my area. Any suggestions on good ways to learn VBA?

Read a book and practice at work! That's the way I learned... Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

"Beginning Access 2000 VBA" by Robert Smith and David Sussman is a good start, I use it all the time . . .

I got mine at Hastings (if you have those where you live), and I have seen them at book stores as well.

You can order it through the publisher Wrox Press at

GOOD LUCK!
Chance~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back