Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice Oracle User needs Urgent Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashridharan

Technical User
Aug 19, 2001
US
Hi All,
I have just started using Oracle 8i for a project of mine. I am used to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and am finding it kinda tough to switch over. Can someone direct me to something as simple as creating a Database in Oracle please ???

Is there some tool like SQL Server's Enterprise Manager for Oracle ???

Ashish

You have many products available for Oracle DB administration. If you are looking for an Oracle solution, look at Oracle Enterprise Manager. A pain to install and make work but it does what you are looking for.

For third party, you can look at BMC patrol, it is a good product. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

When you installed Oracle for NT, it must have installed a couple of program that you can start. You should see something under Oracle/Database Administration/Database configuration Assistant. That tool lets you create a database.
You could also use the "old" method, which consist solely of using the "create database" command. Of course, there is a lot of parameters you will have to supply to the command, and since your new to Oracle, you'll have to do some reading.
My first advice for you would be to register to Metalink, the online support from Oracle. From this site, you will have access to a lot of information. For instance, I did a quick search for you, and found Note:68720.1 that explain exactly what you need to do to create a database.
To register to metalink, go to the metalink.oracle.com page. You will also need you CID (customer information ...)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back