Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice Needs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseman66

Technical User
May 25, 2005
CA
Hello,
I am new to this but we have a Norstar Plus Modular ICS 2.0 and software updated to September 2003. I have been tasked to see if I can fix some issues with it. One of our folks in the office has moved to another part of the building and they have the impression he should have been able to move his handset and the system would recognise his extension etc. Can this be done or does the physical line in the box need to be moved? The tech that installed did not label anything.
Thanks
Caseman

The proper way to do such a move is to change the cross-connects at the main box. It should only take about 15 minutes for a qualified vendor, whether or not the blocks are labeled.

I guess that's what we'll need. They aren't very happy with that vendor rigth now I guess they were told some things this system could do but actually can't. Thanks for the help.

If you are not happy with them, I would recommend trying to find another. It is sad, but true, that there are allot of "vendors" out there who are woefully out of their depth in trying to configure these systems. One only need peruse this forum for proof.

This is another way that can be done for moving phones..You will need to make sure the new locaiotn is x-connected to MICS cabinet. If this is so you can activate the set relocaiton option on the MICS.

From there you will be able to move phones without doing x-connects..If the new locaiton is not x-connected it would be easier just to x-connect the port to the new locaiotn..

I hope this helps..

Archie

I would not recommend Set Relocation. I think that's why bkrike ommited that possibility purposely. Once set relocation is utilized, unless extremely good records are kept, all it does is foul up the wiring scheme and make it more difficult to troubleshoot in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back