Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice Needs Help With Adobe Premier 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX

I use Windows XP Pro and am self-studying Adobe Premier6.0.

I have on DVD a home-video of a wedding that I want to edit and title. I insert the disc into my DVD player/recorder (internal) and view the video perfectly using Nero Showtime.

I saved the video to 'My Documents' in order to open it in Premier for editing.

When in Premier, and trying to open it (from My Documents), I get the message 'Unsupported Format'.

How can I get this video (and future work) into Premier???

Paul

What format does Nero put the video in. If it is not AVI or MOV file then you will have some difficulty in bringing it into 6.0. If you have an analog capture device hoked up to your computer then I would play the DVD from a DVD player (external) and record it using premiere.

Older Premieres will not handle MPEG on the timeline. Premiere Elements 2 and later and Premiere Pro 2 are the first versions to offer this facility.

If you want to edit your DVD material with Premiere 6, you will best convert it into DV AVI format first. Virtual Dub (try Googling) is a free program that should do the conversion for you if I understand its specification correctly. Personally I use Canopus ProCoder for this sort of thing, but that costs money.

Then, having completed the edit as DV, you will need to re-encode into MPEG if you want to put it back onto DVD again. Inevitably this double conversion will cause some loss of quality.

First, use Windows Explorer to browze your DVD. Copy the .vob files onto your hard drive.

Open Nero Vision Express and choose to "make a DVD". At the next screen click "Add video files" and add one of the vob files from your hard disk.

Once you have a vob file loaded in NVE, go to the bottom of the NVE screen and select "Export".

From the template drop-down, select "DV".

From the DV-AVI drop-down, select "DV-Type2" and then set the output destination.

Finally click the "Export" button in the lower right hand corner. Your file will be saved as a Type-2 AVI file in your chosen location ready to be imported into Premiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back