Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Send Message Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyone

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
Is there a place where Novell stores the message users send to each other using the send message feature in Novell?

Not that I'm aware of.

Are you having problems with people sending inappropriate messages, etc? and you need to track it down? or what exactly are your concerns with this?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

IF memory serves, the SEND.EXE command is removed under NetWare 5.x so the only way users can send messages is via the option under the NetWare Client.

You can disable the receiving of messages but I wouldn't advise that as users will not receive system broadcast messages sent from the server console by yourself. The easiest option is to disable the send message option. The TID below details this and also how to roll this out to all workstations via the login script:

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

You could also use Zenworks to push the registry settings. I like doing that much better than login scripts, but that's just personal preference. The end result would be the same.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I am the Novell Admin and the mangers of other departments have notice that there employees are using Novell send message as an instant message. They want to get a print out of what they have been typing. I have already turned off the send message feature for them but the managers want to know what they have been typing. So is there a place where Novell stores these messages?

No, sorry.

"It's true, its damn true!"

Hi The Lad,

you mentioned that you can disable the receiving of messages, this is what i need but i am unsure how to do it, I know this is an old post hopefully your still around,

Thanks in advance

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back