Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell NetWare Server 65. Server name locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo2364

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2004
US
Hi,

I have an issue with a monitoring system I use to monitor all of our devices (Novell and Windows). However, when I do a discovery for a Novell server, it discovers it with the server name of FS-PHL-TEMP-W when in reality the serve name is FS-PHL-XXX. I have numerous servers that do this. Most of the in-house Novell servers are Virtual. So, I am figuring that the servers we created othere servers from in VMware, that it kept this name somewhere on the server.

Name: FS-PHL-XXX

Discovered Name: FS-PHL-TEMP-W

Does anyone know where this name is residing on the server (the directory location)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I can't tell you from experience why that is happening (no experience with virtual environments), but I would do this. Use an old Windows XP workstation and do a search on the whole SYS volume for any file "containing text" = FS-PHL-TEMP-W

If you can't find any file that matches, then it's some other type of phenomenon.

I have a vague recollection that this relates to running SMB, and the "-W" is the Windows server name. I don't recall it adding "TEMP", but it's been quite a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back