Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Netware 4.11 and Arcserve 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezD

Technical User
Aug 19, 2004
GB
I have a client who uses novell netware 4.1.1 and arcserve 6.
He is a network administrator of acompany and is due to upgrade his netware version as it is no longer supported.
But before he does he wants to backup his servers' data but has come accross the following error when he has checked his previous backup tapes.

They use Arcserve 6 on Novell netware 4.1.1 The Backup log show that the backup is completed and that it has backed up all files.
When he looks on the backup screen while it is in progress it show that Arceserve backs up everything, but when he goes to restore it does n't show all the server files and folders, it only shows a few directories have been backed up.

Could someone please help us?

Has any solved this problem or know why is occurs and how to get around it?

Try performing a tape merge. This should merge the whole of the contents list of the tape back into the database. I would hazard a guess that BTrieve is not writing to the database properly (as always happened with Arcserve 6) -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

If the merge does not work for you the first time, try the following.

Stop ARCserve. Now go into its directory through explorer and locate the folder called "Database". Also look for another folder called "Empty DB" or something like that. Save a copy of the emptydb folder to another directory. Rename it to "Database". Rename the folder in the ARCserve dirctory called "Database" to something that is meaningful to you, such as DB020610. The folder that you called "Database" can now be copied back to the ARCserve directory.

Bring ARCserve back up and run the Merge again. This merge will go into the "NEW" database.

Sometimes these databases get cluttered and for some reason you can't restore from them. When we were using this product and I knew the DB was old, I'd replace it before doing the restore. If I really needed the other DB for anything, I could retrieve it.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back