Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Limiting users Home Directory space on Network Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsmoul

MIS
Feb 24, 2001
US
I am a new Novell Admin. We experienced a problem when the Network Drive became full and users were unable to save their work to the Network Drive until files were purged. I need to know if there is a way to limit the space the users have in their Home Directory on the Network Drive to avoid this problem. Also, this will restrict the users on the amount of unnecessary files they store on the Network Drive. If anyone can help me on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

larsmoul

Hi larsmoul,
This one is easy!! You have to go into NWadmin and then find the user directory on which you want to restrict the size. Then mark it and right mouse click it, you should get a menu. You want to select details. then facts button on the right side. You will then see on the left a box which says restrict size. Then you have the opurtunity to fill in the size underneath.

Hope this helps!!!
Chris

Larsmoul,

I got the answer to your question delivered to my email box a few days ago from I have copied & pasted for convenience sake, but you may wish to sign up for the list too. From one new Novell admin to another! :cool:

NETWARE TIPS FOR FEB. 22, 2001

RESTRICT A USER'S VOLUME SPACE
Give some people an inch, and they'll take a mile. The old axiom is
true in many cases, especially when it comes to using disk space. If you
want to limit the amount of disk space allocated to your users, you can
easily set restrictions at the volume level in ConsoleOne.

After launching ConsoleOne, right-click the volume and select
Properties. Click the Users With Space Restrictions tab. All users
displayed on this page have disk space limitations set for this
particular volume.

To restrict the amount of disk space that's available to a user on the
volume, click the Add button. Browse the NDS tree to find the user and
then click OK. The resulting dialog box will allow you to specify the
amount of available disk space for the person to use on the volume. You
must specify the allowed amount in 64-KB increments.

If you want to adjust or remove the restriction at a later date,
highlight the user and click Modify or Delete.

While this type of micromanagement may be too cumbersome in a large
organization, you can at least reign in those users at the high end of the
usage scale.

For future accounts, it would be helplful to set up a profile with the limit and home directory already set up. Then use the template for each new account created.

After the fact, if you want to define limits to a whole bunch of people, the easiest way is to use volume limits. (In nwadmin, select the root of the volume where the home drives exist (ie. server_sys or server_vol1) and choose user space limits under details.

You could also highlight a whole group of users in NWADMIN and the under details add volume space limits to all of them at once. You cannot do this with directory limits because each person would have a different directory to limit while typically a whole group of people have home directories on the same volume.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back