Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell IP Boot Disk for imaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpdite

Technical User
Jan 15, 2005
CA
Hi
Can anyone help with some instructions on building a Novell boot disk to image our PC's? Up until recently we have been using a site that was posted on the cool solutions site but it has not been updated sine 2006. I cannot seem to create the drivers that I need for the Dell 755 desktops that we are currently using.

I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks

X

I recently found 'Driver Detective', a small cost, to be very good at figuring out and downloading drivers for various PC's. I am in the process of figuring out SYSPREP, which will take these drivers and an 'image' and make a new one with the specific drivers that Driver Detective found.

If you are interested start looking up SYSPREP info & I will post back here in a couple of weeks. (I hope)

Thanks for the reply but if I understand driver setective correctly it will provide me with the windows drivers which a don't think will work correctly on a DOS boot disk.

Seeing as there was so little response to this question maybe people could suggest were I can post this question that may be more suitable.

Thanks

Gee, I'd like a free imaging system too. What does this have to do with Novell?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

OUCH... The images are stored on a novell server and as such I need a boot disk that will allow me to connect to this server. I cannot seem to create a disk that will allow a Dell D755 with an Intel 82566 DM-2 ethernet card to attach to the network

What software are you using to create the images with?

You can put those images in an unsecured folder that doesn't need authentication, or you can configure that folder for LDAP. If you have Apache running on that box it'd be easy to simply publish them.

You shouldn't need to run the Netware client for this simple task. Besides, I don't think you'll find it for DOS anymore.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

We are using Ghost to create the images. Corporate security mandates were the images are stored and as such they are stored on a Novell server. I have had no problems with the boot disk up until this model of Dell. I am sure there has to be other people out there that use a similar setup to image there machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back