Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell IM Saved Conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
I have Netware 6 SPA5( I know it is not supported ) but we are running Groupwise 6.5 and Novell Messenger 1.0.0. Messenger is running fine but we just discovered that when a user saves a IM conversation,the reply gives the replyers name but the message back is garbage that looks like symbols.We have tried all different users and works with some but not with others.What we did find is that the conversation on both users are fine until they save it.Here is 2 sample.Thanks

Conversation initiator: Shawn
Participants: Shawn , Sheri

Conversation started: (4/23/2008 3:45:45 PM)
Kay (4/23/2008 3:46:10 PM)
ÿÿ

Kay (4/23/2008 3:46:39 PM)
ÿÿ

Shawn (4/23/2008 3:46:43 PM)
yes we are

Conversation ended: (4/23/2008 3:46:59 PM)

Shawn (4/23/2008 3:45:45 PM)
hey

Sheri (4/23/2008 3:45:59 PM)
ÿÿ

Shawn (4/23/2008 3:45:59 PM)
no word yet for Friday

Sheri (4/23/2008 3:46:04 PM)
ÿÿ

Shawn (4/23/2008 3:46:07 PM)
thanks

Conversation ended: (4/23/2008 3:46:30 PM)

When I cut and paste the symbols changed to YY but it shows up as a small o and a cap E with a greater sign above the E.Thanks Again

You should probably at least put the latest service pack on for the 1.0 version and then try it again. This kind of stuff happens all the time on 1.0 software.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

We are talking about service pack 6 for the clients or not.I tried to download gwm6e.exe and keep getting a 504 bad gateway error.I'll see if I can find it at another site.If we are not talking about the workstation client I didn't see a application service pack.Thanks

I didn't think they had a sp6 for GWM 1, but I could be wrong. That's pretty old. Do you guys have GroupWise 7? If you do, it ships with GWM 2 and is much better.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hopefully you aren't "snooping" for Human Resources. They love it when you say "due to technical issues, the information you requested is not available at this time."

Now you can turn that around on management by saying "we need an upgrade since our software is no longer supported and these types of issues are to be expected in outdated software."

This actually was a attorney speaking to another co-attorney in that same office.We don't have groupwise 7 and have let microsoft take over the datacenter and we have already had talks about exchange as maybe a replacement for the e-mail system but I'm pushing them to go to Groupwise 7 on a windows box to keep Novell.

My prediction: Groupwise out - Exchange in. Actually, the best scenario for performance and cost to the company would be Groupwise running on Linux. Getting Microsoft out of the picture would be great, but your data center people (Microsoft gods, no doubt) would not approve.

So guys I have loaded the latest spa6 and went from 1.0 to 1.0.6 app and client and have tested it with a few techs and it is the same problem.Is it time to get the co. credit card out and call Novell? Will they still help me with this version of Messenger even thou Netware 6.0 is not supported anymore?And if not I have been to your site Marvin and maybe your co. can help.

They don't support version 1.0 any more since it ships with GW6.5 and GW6.5 is no longer supported.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I'm thinking of doing a couple of things. Since I have put on the support pack to up it to 1.0.6 I can't just do a reload of the original 1.0 to get me back to square 1 can I?Also I have a backup from the end of the year before I think the problem started.Can I do a restore with that to a working date and if I can is there some documentation to do this.I've done Groupwise restores but never done Messenger.Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back