Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell eating Access97 database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonMcNutt

Programmer
Mar 22, 2003
CA
I have a Macromedia Authorware training application which uses an Access97 database (via ODBC) and uses a VB6 app as a front end. The program is a stable application with a long history of running on many different networks. The Dbase is located on the server. I recently had a school load it onto a Novell 4.12 network with Win98 workstations. Everything works fine, including the VB6 app UNTIL the VB6 app is shut down. After that there are dbase issues - ODBC cannot connect, etc, VB won't start. The client sent me the 'damaged' dbase. When I open it in Access I get the msg "The Microsoft Jet Database Engine could not find the object 'Databases'. Make sure it exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly". I click 'OK' and the dbase appears to be empty - like its been vacuumed out like an ashtray. There are no tables, queries, etc. I know Novell has issues with Access, but can anyone give me a clue what might be causing this or where to look for more info? TIA RonM

Hi

This takes me back long time since i have used novel but any way when vb locks the access database it does not follow the standard NDS stucture I no that upto at least novell 3.11 there was an additional app to run the command line is <B> FLAG mydatabasename.mdb -s </B> this allows novell to correctly handle the locks hope this works for you p.s. you only need to run it once makes permanent change to file system locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back