Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

novell client problems with windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeh3404

Programmer
Mar 24, 2000
US
when i first started using windows 2000 workstations on our novell network there was no problem. the novell login prompt would come up and windows 2000 would automatically login based on the novell login. well, i have been having problems lately where the novell prompt never comes up but windows 2000 will login. when i try to login to novell, i get the message that the workstation is already logged in. however, it did not run any of the startup scripts to map drives. is there a way i can make the novell login prompt ALWAYS pop up during boot up? thank you in advance for your help.

What version of the Novell client for Windows NT/2000 are you using? 4.83E is the most recent one I have, though 4.80 is working fine on a lot of machines. What is the SP level of your Win2000 workstations? Should be at least 2, preferably 3. Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

If you never get prompted for any type of login and you system goes from powering up to the desktop with out a hitch then; Go to START - SETTINGS - CONTROLL PANEL - USERS AND PASSWORDS. Make sure you have not removed the check mark from "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

If you do get the Windows 2000 login prompt to get to your desktop then just go into the properties of the network connection, remove the NetWare client and reinstall it. That would be easier and quicker than trying to figure out whats going on. Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

Hi,

It sounds to me as if the workstation is not seeing the server. This is almost always a cabling/NIC issue. If this is happened to multiple workstations, then disregard this response.

Hi,
I also have the same problem especially when the machine just got rebooted: nwscript launch but just flash on the screen, no netware drive mapped. If I log off and log back on, everything will be OK (NOT restart)
I have tried to re-install CSNW, re-apply SP3, changed the frame types,etc. but nothing work.

If the Novell prompt does not appear, your Novell client is not seeting a Novell server. Are your servers running Netware 4,5, or 6? IPX or IP? If IPX, do you have the IPX protocol still loaded on the problem workstations? If IP, can you ping the Novell server? Are your NIC's set to autonegotiate, or are they set to forced 10/Half or 100/full? (forced is better). Check these out and let us know how you're doing! Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Hi,
The problem happens only when I log on the 1st time after rebooting the machine, at that time, the system acts as if there was no CSNW installed or the service was disabled. It's always OK when I log on for the 2nd time (after rebooting).
I'm wondering what makes the different between the first and second log on after a reboot?? I don't have any ideas... Thank you in advance,

Are you running just IP on the workstation? If so, it could be that your PC has not got an IP Address by the time the Novell Client is due to be actioned. If this is the case, you have to enable Option 85 on your DHCP server and point it to your server. Post back if this is the case and I will post more info, if not I won't bore you all with the details. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

We have both system, NT and Novell, IP is for the NT side and it's always ok, I always got authenticated.
Just Netware Client has problem after reboot, it uses NWLink IPX/SPX only, not IP.
When I can not connect to Novell server, I have tried these:
- Restart the CSNW service, but it didn't help.
- In Network and Dialup Connection\Advance Setting\provide Order\Network Provider, I set "Netware or Compatible Network" on top. This didn't help neither.
I already reinstall CSNW, and run WIn2kSP3.
My machine is a Dell GX1, the nic is 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible).
TX,

Make sure your NIC is set to NOT autonegotiate - note whether the connection is 10/Half or 100/Full, and force the network card to be the correct setting. The autonegotiation drill can be the cause of the delay in the connection. 3Com NICs and Cisco routers set to autonegotiate are especially prone to have this disagreement. You may even need to have your Network troops set the router port to NOT autonegotiate. I have had this problem, and these solutions solved it in my situation. Good luck!
Fred Wagner Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

I just find out that I have problem only when I have a "manual mapping", it's just like when we run net use f: \\servername\sharename with "reconnects at next logon". So everytime when we log on (after a reboot) it tries to reconnect to that Novell server. This creates our bug.

If you map it but DO NOT set "Reconnect at next logon", (/persisten:no), everything will be ok.

Hope this will help.

If the problem occurs with manual mapping, then set up the mapping your want for that person in their individual Novell login script - it's designed to be used that way. Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Why are you using NET USE to map NetWare drives? -----------------------------------------------------

Because there are many users who have problem with the Netware login script, it maps all the drives, except the F drive (their home directory), so they have to Map Network Drive manually for their F drive (and reconnect at next log on). Just to let you all know, I'm only a technician, not a Novell Admin.
Everything have been ok in NT4.0, I have this problem with Win2k only. I guess i should not use NET USE for Novell server anymore. Thanks,

I remember a similar problem with not getting Drive F to map to Novell properly with Win2K - decided it didn't really HAVE to be drive F, so I started mapping G instead, and it works out fine. It works, so I don't worry about the underlying cause! Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

F: is usually allocated as the first NetWare drive to map, and it will usually map automatically to SYS:pUBLIC unless you disable it (and the login script command to do that escapes me at the moment). As Fred said, I would opt for a different drive letter and see if your problems are resolved. -----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back