Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell clien login: Where in windows 98 is it called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danns

MIS
Dec 12, 2000
US
I want to slip a script in before the client login comes up in windows 98. The runservices and runservicesonce all work sychronisly, with now pause right through the login. The script never completes before the login screen pops up.

Basically, I want to auto-login to novell durning the hours of 12:00 am and 2:00 am to perform virus def updates. I have the script to do this, but I need a way to load it before the login prompts start.

Is there a way to delay the login window? Where in the registry is the novell login called? It's not in the run or runservices.

A microsoft document says that runservicesonce and runservices get processed and then the windows login. Does Novell replace the windows login?

Does your virus protection program have an autodown load feature? Can you program the virus protection to update itself during the day so that the user can reboot after the update is done?

I assume if you want it to autologin, you are leaving the computer turned on overnight? Can you have it login through the Microsoft client instead of Novell?

Maybe one of these free tools off the Novell Cool Solutions page will help:

Here is the situation. Deepfreeze was running on the workstations which reverts any changes made when the workstation restarts. So, the def files would be reverted back to the old defs from when deepfreeze was installed.

Deepfreeze has a thaw mode for maintainence. We could set the thaw mode between 12:00 and 2:00 am and have the workstations start up with a bios setting into this period.

I created some registry settings that would auto-login the machine into our novell network so the defs could be transferred. The virus scan software puts the new defs on a novell server and the clients update from there.

I needed a way to get the information into the registry before the login prompt.

The solution so far is to use a 3rd party dos app called testfor and call time from the clock. If the machine was booting between 12 and 1:59 am, then the auto-login settings would be imported into the registry. At any other time, the reverse settings were imported.

I would like to know if there is a way to do this through wsh instead of dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back