Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Application Launcher (NAL) on NW5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucemosier

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if its possible to use Novell Application Launcher with Netware 5 without installing ZEN Works?

I have all the NAL Files (nal.exe,startnal.exe,etc) just in Netware Admin and Console 1 it doesnt allow me to create an application entry, and when I copy the snapin DLLs to the Nwadmin directory it gives an error code on startup and doesnt allow application creation still.

Any help is very appreciated.

Besides the obvious points related to violations of the licensing policies... [pirate]

...The only reason you need any of those files to be on the server is if you are running ZEN 3.2 or lower. ZEN 4 and higher NAL do not run on the server. The agent is installed directly on the PC.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
We do have licensing for Netware 4.11/NAL that was bundled.
I was reading there was a ZENWorks Starter Pack available that carried NAL with it. I'm not at work now to check, but I don't recall seeing this on any of our Netware 5 install CDs.

Is this a seperate download available?

I can't recall where the ZEN starter pack was bundled. I think it was included with Netware 5.1. You could also download it, but Novell has discontinued it completely.

You can download a full version of ZEN 7 with a 90 day free trial. You'll need to upgrade Netware too though.

Now would be a good time to look into Novell Open Workgroups. Bundle of NetWare, ZENworks SUITE, GroupWise, and more..

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

We've been using Zen Starter since 4.11 before it was 'Zen'. It works great on 5.1 We considered moving up to the licensed version but could never justify the cost for what we use in it. It locks down the workstations and provides application deployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back