Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell and 98 logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Greetings all,

I am a tech a Idaho School District and have been noticing a small problem.

A little about my experience w/Novell:
Our Original Novell person was fired so I had 2 weeks to learn it and build 4 servers. I have worked with novell in alot of ways, but not starting from scratch. They are running very well, and rarely need intervention except for putting in users or adding software, but one is giving me a little bit of a headache on a interesting issue.

At our High School we have the students limited to 1 login. And if they try to login to another workstation they cannot until they log out of the last computer. We are running Novell 6 SP2 with all the patches.

Now the School technician/teacher has noticed that there are a handfull of students who log out, but for some reason will not let them log back in. It states that thier logged into another system and that they need to log out. I have tried to track this down to maybe a machine, this does not seem to be the answer. We are also running the latest client as well. I believe it is 3.32sp1.

One last note if you look in NWAdmin32 under Environment it will show the address here and will not release it. If you watch a different student who is using a computer it will show up then remove itself after the student has logged off.

Ok I know this a long post but a puzzling problem. We don't want to give our kids more then one log on, but for these that will not let go we have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Idaho Tech

It may be how these handful of students are logging out. If it shows the machine they are/were logged into, can you go to that machine and see what state it is left it? If you power it down and or restart it, does the login clear in NWAdmin?

You could also look at connections at the server console to see if it shows them as still logged in.

BTW, you should be using Console1 or IManage in a NetWare 6 environment, not NWAdmin.

When the student's logoff the workstation, are they picking the "logoff username" option, or do they actually reboot?

Well when the students log off they not only log off they do a shutdown and a restart. Kinda weird if you ask me. If I go to the server itself using or using the AdRem console program and look at the users it doesn't show them there either...

I am wondering could it be a older client issue? Or maybe the 1 login per student being a problem? If so how come it is not happening to more students???(knocking on wood).

I do know not to use NWAdmin32, I clicked on it instead of ConsoleOne and figured oh well just to check. In console one it does not show them logged in.... getting weird yet??[upsidedown]

Well thanks for the suggestions guys. I will do some more checking into the machines where they last were able to log in once. Maybe it is that system holding on somehow, but who knows. If computers were easy us Tech's would be out on the street.

Of course there are alwyas sunspots to blame [rednose]

I had an issue similar to yours. The only difference was that Monitor was showing multiple connections for each user unlike your's not showing any. You stated that you have 4 servers. Have you checked any of the other servers for multiple connections for users? Check out TID number 10073805 at support.novell.com.

Good luck

Hello tneary,

Thanks for the hint. Checked out the other servers and no instance of the users. Thankfully there are about 3 to 6. Sometimes is clears itself for some of the users.

I will check into the TID you suggest to see if it has anything more that may help.

Appreciate all the responses...Thanks All

IdahoTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back