Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell 5 Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
We have a Netware 5 server working only as file and print server. The server HArdware RAID is setup as RAID 0 and Software Novell 5.0 is setup as 2 mirrored drive. I want to upgrade the Hard disk from 20 GB to 70 GB SCSI. How can I do it. We have to do it urgently .Any Help would be appriciated. I can build up a new server with hard ware and software RAID but I dont know how to go about in upgrading the Hard disk on a fully functional server.Thanks.Any Help would be appriciated.Thanks

Hi,

All you have to do is the following:

1. Down the server and remove one of the HDs. This will give a good copy in case something happens during the next few steps.
2. Bring the server up and break the mirror. (Remove the out of sync member in the mirror).
3. Down the server and add the new bigger drive.
4. Bring the server up and establish the mirror.
5. Once mirror is done, repeat the procedure for the other drive.
6. Get a patrtition expansion utility, such as ServerMagic, and expand the existing partition to the full extent of the drive.
7. Add free space to volumes.

Lou

But when I take the drive off if its a RAID would'nt it effect the RAID setup. Tell me one thing which I am really not sure about The RAID setup is it stored on the System or the HArd disk. What if the server is dead how can you build up a RAID in this instance.Thanks

How many physical hard drives are in the system? You mention RAID 0 as well as Novell Mirror.. And do you realize that RAID 0 isn't a very good option. And if you have RAID, why do you need to use Novell's Mirror? you should use RAID 1 to do the mirroring from the controller itself, it will be much better for performance.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back