Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notify of GW client 7.03 in cache mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

13sio

Technical User
May 21, 2003
MO
Hi, i m using GroupWise client 7.03 (cache mode) in a Win XP SP3 machine. i would like to get help of Notify for new mail notification. Notify only prompts me for new mails when GW client is opened, and has no notification when GW client is not opened. Is it possible to get notification without opening GW client all day? Thanks.

Finally i cannot get it done and give up Notify.

Is the notify program in your startup programs list??? If it is, it should be starting up and then it should notify you.

If not, that is your problem.

Thanks for your reply. In my case, Notify is running all day. If GW client is in online mode, everything works fine; if GW client is in caching mode, no notify at all unless GW client is opened.

Notify is in Windows firewall exception.

I don't think what you are trying to do with notify will work. If the client isn't open, then you will not connect to the server. If you have no connection to the server then you won't actually get any new emails until you connect. If the client is open and minimized in the taskbar, I think the client auto connects to the server like every two minutes. In the online mode you are in essence always connected to the server, so you get emails pretty much immediately.

RBest

Your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

GroupWise in online mode connects directly to the POA agent and polls it every two minutes for updates. Nothing is stored on the local system, all is stored on the server.

GroupWise in Cache mode creates a copy of the user database on the local PC. The structure of the database and the files that go with it are exactly like the client in Remote mode. The client does not connect to the POA agent, it connects to this local database. By default, every 10 minutes the client will sync with the POA. When it does this, it connects to the POA and downloads/uploads all new items.

Notify uses the same DLL's and configuration information as the Client. It makes it's own connection to the POA (hence when someone looks at their POA there are more connections that they would expect. One for the client, and one for Notify). However, Notify looks at the configuration information of the client to know were to connect. So, when your in online mode, notify uses the online mode config to connect to the POA (The GroupWise client does NOT need to be loaded for Notify to work). When your in caching mode, Notify connect to the cache. The problem is that Notify does not have anyway to sync your cache with the online mail box. This is why you must have the GroupWise client running in order to get notification of new email when your in caching mode.

To close, if you want Notify to work the way you want it to work, use Online mode. If you have to use caching mode, give up on Notify.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back