Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notification Expire Date E-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

codrutza

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
IE
MS Access 2013

Maybe you could help me with this.

A course has a expiration date. I would like 2 reminders, like 3 years from the date of expiry, to my email address and the email of the person who took the course. Is this possible, please?

And now we play a guessing game…
Do you have a table with the information like: course number, course name, person/people who took that course, people’s e-mail addresses, date of course, expiration date, etc?

“2 reminders, like 3 years from the date of expiry” any another one… whenever?

You would have to have a job/application run every day / every hour / every week / every month / once a year? How often would you need to check if you need to send those 2 reminders?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks Andy. Yes, the table is about like that you imagine + the phone nr :) I need to have the reminders with a month and maybe with a week before the expiry date. I want the trainer (me) to be notified and the trainee by email. "I don't know what you mean by How often would you need to check if you need to send those 2 reminders?"

If that would be me, I would add another 2 fields to my table: REM_MONTH_SENT and REM_WEEK_SENT that would accept Yes/No (True/False) and set them by default to No (False).
Then I would have an application scheduled to run at certain time every day or when I start up my computer. This app would run SQLs, something like:
[tt]
SELECT * From MyTable
WHERE Expiration_Date < (Date + 30)
AND REM_MONTH_SENT = No
[/tt]
And
[tt]
SELECT * From MyTable
WHERE Expiration_Date < (Date + 7)
AND REM_WEEK_SENT = No
[/tt]
And if any of the record sets have any records, I would just loop thru them, and for every record I would send an e-mail to myself and whoever is on that record, and at the same time update REM_MONTH_SENT to Yes (REM_WEEK_SENT to Yes). Done.

REM is short for REMinder

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back