Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nothing working on boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

arto94

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
A2
I have all my ide cords seated correctly, my power cords, my mouse, keyboard, ect, all my cords are good to go. When I turn on the PC however, the 2 lights in the front of my case stay on, the power light, and the HDD light. The light on my mouse does not go on, nor do the 3 on my keyboard (tried pressing the lock keys, no response.) The computer does turn on, all my case fans spin, the processor fan spins, the fan on my mobo spins, and the fan on my video card spins. The light on the monitor is yellow, and the screen is black. I have tried resetting my bios, nothing happened. I have tried another video card, nada. I took out all my wires and hardware bits, and put them back in, nada. Usually if I screw around with my stuff enough, I get it working, but I can't seem to get it working. The pci/agp slot stuff all worked on my old PC too, so i know it's not a problem there.

My system is as follows
ASUS A7V266-E via KT266A DDR motherboard.
Im not sure the model of my AMD chip...it.s about 1.8 gigs I believe.
one 512 chip of DDR kingston ram.
a radeon 9700 pro.
The sound card im not sure, it's a Hercules something that plugs into a blue box (just got that hand me down from my bud).
Some crappy ethernet card that came with my cable modem.
A USB mouse (one of them spiffy microsoft laser mice).
And a not-special keyboard.

Common approach here is to remove/disconnect everything apart from keyboard, graphics card and monitor (ie, no floppy, hard drive, CD, PCI card etc). See if it boots to a POST screen then. If it does, connect hardware one at a time and try again. If it doesn't - change graphics card, change memory (or just use one stick if more than one) & try again. If still no good, likely cpu or motherboard is culprit.

--Try resetting the CMOS.
No clue what you're talking about there, and I dont have the instruction manual for my mobo so I don't believe I can look at my jumper settings

tried the solution that wolluf gave me, still nada. I have new RAM and a Processor coming in the mail (via USPS bah) so if it IS the processors fault, i'll know in about...oh, 3 months heh.
Also, I noticed the fan on my processor is rather...
well...
LOUD
Kinda like a chainsaw sound (RRRrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrr) After a bit it goes to normal though.

You should be able to get manual for mobo on the manufacturer's site (would be a good idea for the future!)

Also - I think removing the battery on the mobo for at least 30 minutes will reset CMOS.

PS. You said in first post that you have reset the bios. What do you mean by that - as you can't get into bios settings unless machine boots.

I think reset is the wrong word. I took a screwdriver to the prongs and gave it power....going to take out the battery and head on over to best buy....gotta buy a TV, so longer than 30 mins. Will post results later on

still nothing.
I'm not going to poke and prod at it for a bit. Just going to wait on my new processor and RAM sticks....maybe a new mobo too if I have the cash

=/ my new stuff hates on me like that too...everything works but the monitor rests in sleep mode. I've tried a different video card, but same thing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back