Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nothing under My Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenitti

MIS
Aug 24, 2001
US
I noticed when I have upgraded an NT 4.0 SP6 machine to Windows XP Pro SP2 I am unable to see the Entire Network feature when browsing. On the upgraded machines, when I right click on the My Computer icon and choose explore and click on the plus sign or click the My Network Places link, there is nothing listed under it. Not Terminal Services, not Microsoft Windows Network, not anything.

Machines that have been cleanly installed are fine. Machines that have been upgraded from Windows 2000 SP4 are fine also. I've searched Microsofts site and did numerous google searches and have come up with nothing so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

believe it or not the word we got (at my former employer) was that if you had NT and intended to upgrade to XP you had to go upgrade to W2K first or you would have major league problems

they decided that the cost did not justify the upgrade so they went straight to new machines with XP loaded.

good luck

Thanks for the reply eyec. I haven't run into major league problems with the upgrades. They went pretty smooth actually. This problem is just nagging me. The Map Network Drive feature works fine so you know that the network browsing feature is working. I've even compared services and could come up with nothing. Back to the drawing board! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back