Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nothing is responding in new computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

soloist007

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
Hi:

I have a brand new FIC AN11 motherboard that has been tested and I know works, I also have a 1900+ AMD processor and Crucial 2100 256 meg DDR DIMM Chip. I installed everythign including video card hard drive and cdrom and the system will power up but I doesn't do anything. The keyboard won't light up and the monitor won't come on. I doesn't look like any of the external devices are working. Can anyone help me with this? I think that it would be a problem with the processor. Would that cause it? Thanks.

Try and boot with cpu, power supply, motherboard and video card and listen for beeps. If it beeps that tells you the cpu is good and it's looking for the memory. Is it a jumperless motherboard? What has changed sinced you last tested it?
Keep us posted. We love a challenge. [smile]
Cindy

Thanks for replying so quickly guys. I did everything that you told me Cindy and it still didn't work. I tried it and it wouldn't even beep. I know that the motherboard is good because it was faulty before and I sent it back and they sent me a new replacement. Anymore ideas? The funny thing is that this isn't my first computer that I built. It is the first one that I have made using an AMD processor though.

Flush BIOS according to mobo’s manual.

Make sure:
1-Vid card is seated properly
2-mobo is not shorting to chassis

If not Sure with any of the above then take mobo out of the box and bench test it.

3-BIOS is AMD XP compliant
4-Heatsink is correctly and firmly in place

And then Flush the BIOS again.

If everything fails:
Test with another Vid Card, PSU and CPU. The new mobo could be faulty as well.

Make sure you do this outside of case just in case you are shorting the board. Feel to see if the cpu is hot. Clear the cmos and pop the battery out. Then see if that changes anything. If you are wondering if it's your cpu then all you have to do is get the cpu you tested this board with put it in if it works you got your answer. Then it would be the cpu, but please try cmos first that's easy.
Good luck,
Cindy [2thumbsup]

Sounds to me like your board isn't getting enough power. I'd try checking to see if the Power Supply is still functioning. Check the power output using the voltameter. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Are you sure the AMD 1900+ is compatible with the FIC AN11?

The manufactures website only says 700 - 1.33 and upwards on this VIA KT266 motherboard.

So this normally means a BIOS upgrade over the original version has fixed the limitation. So I would return your build.

If your board still has the original bios your 1900+ won't work and it probably won't display the bios version on the screen.

Did the board work with a slower cpu? Was it tested using a 1900+ ?

If it does work with a slower cpu, boot it up and write down the bios version and date. version 1.01 dated 3/15/2002 supports cpus up to 2100+ and flashing the bios to this version will fix the problem.

make sure you have clear CMOS jumper set to normal and not clear. If your unsure....Dont do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back