Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nothing is displayed when typing ipconfig in DOS window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2005
US
I think this might be a virus but I wanted to get some other opinions. I have a remote user that can't get on his wireless or wired LAN. When I have him type ipconfig in a DOS window all it displays is "Windows IP Configuration" and no adapters or anything after that it just goes back to the command prompt. Both his wireless and wired adapters show up in Network Connections. I think I had seen this before but it was a while ago so I was hoping someone could confirm if this is a virus. Thanks.

Run the WinsockFix utility described in FAQ779-4625

Can he connect via "Safe Mode with Networking"?

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

He's not very computer savy but my next step will be to have him try a system restore and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back