Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes to Web connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTan

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
FR
Hi guys,

The company where I started working has decided to put online a small database of Lotus Notes and they expect from me to propose, the next couple of days, a solution to their problem. Tho' this wasn't meant to be part of the job and I am more familiar with php/mysql rather than Notes/Domino, I would like to end up with some clear ideas and draft a small report for them.
The bad thing is that there's no question that the company will convert the database to other format as they'll update it in daily basis and the content contributors are already familiar with Notes and won't move to another alternative.
I have a couple of questions where I need your input:

1. What tools/plugins/add-ons other than Domino Server and Domino Designer are needed to build a web application and make the web connectivity?
2. What server family would you recommend to host the database considering that the maximum visitors will be 350-400/day? (T1 connection is already set-up and the website will be hosted in our machines)
3. Is there any script (cgi, php etc) who does real time convertion from Notes to SQL so we can go for a php/sql alternative?

Any other relevant info and real life experiences would be very appreciated.

THx

Not too sure about what you are planning to do. Do you need a new web site that was built in Domino or do you just need data within notes database available for other applications (like web services). I am try to put together some answers to you questions

1. I believe in both case, you don't really need anything else. Domino server and Domino Designer should be enough. By default, notes database is already web ready. If you allow people to access the database via http task. You might want to try opening names and address book by the following url:

You will then understand what I mean. Please make sure that the http task on the server is running.

2. I have got a dual PIII 333 system running on Linux with 128M of RAM with similar traffic and it seems to run alright. However, I strongly recommend more memory should be used (say 256 or 512M)

3. I am not a particular PHP/CGI expert. I will leave this question for other experts. However, it is possible to create web agent that search from a notes database and give you results.
Vincent Liu

I agree with Mr. Liu, a Domino server just needs the HTTP task to serve up a db to a web browser.
However, the db might need a little sprucing up in order to be deemed presentable. For example, framesets can be used in a Notes db, but they have rarely been implemented in Notes-only applications (not destined to web usage) since they are not required if a browser will not be used. With the more widespread adoption of R5 and R6, framesets have started to be more commonly used since controlling navigation choices is possible in a frameset, whereas it is not in a navigator which was the only possibility in R4.x. If your application does not have any already, you'll probably be concerned by this design element.
You will probably also be brought to use $$View forms, which can allow you change the way a view is seen in a browser.

I will not comment on server configuration, being a developer that is not my domain of interest.

However, I do wonder why you want to go with a php/sql alternative. Domino serves up new pages as soon as they are made, and deals with links automatically. Domino also serves up page modifications in real-time, so there is no issue there. Domino accepts sql queries, so that is a no-brainer also. Finally, you can easily implement db search for the web, so there is no use for any other search engine either. In short, if your application is destined to record and serve company info of administrative, public or internal nature, then there is no real use for anything else than Domino. Even if you wish to serve info of a more technical or industrial nature, there should be no major issue.
Unless, of course, you wish to link the db with another application on a different platform, and do real-time updates automatically. That is starting to become more complicated.

But really, for serving web pages with text content and a few images, like a legal documents resource db, or internal memos or such, Domino is all you'll ever need.

thx to both of you guys for the replies.
What my company want, it's not a complicated thing. Potatoegg, what they want is simply to make available on their homepage the existing Notes database.
The only reason that push me to think of an alternative to Notes/Domino, is the fact that I have never used Notes/Domino before and couldn't evaluate he degree of difficulty/skills needed to do things properly.
However for the last 2 days I've been reading and posing questions left and right so I can somehow see more clearly right now. I think I'm going for the Notes/Domino solution. Trying new things is never a downside ;)
Once started I'll keep you updated with what errors I migh have when interfacing, some of which you Pmonett dealt in your post.
Thx and c ya laters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back