Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOTES Saveset not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warders

MIS
Feb 27, 2001
GB
NT BAckup Server, 2000 Domino 5 Client.

One of our Notes server was rebuilt recently due to problems with the OS (It was an NT/2000 upgrade, not my doing. Since it's been rebuilt I can't get the backups to works properly. If its using a system saveset it will back up fine but if I use a Notes saveset and the nsrnote.bat it comes out with a very spurious error.

In the Details:
nsrnotesv:Skipping file E:\Notes\Data\*.* (Wild cards used instead of specific database names) File not found!.

All the database it can't find are there, all it backs up is notes.ini and then completes successfully.

I have tried everything I can think of; reinstalling Notes Module and Storage Node, Re-create clients, nothing seems to work. I have resorted to offline backups for the time being but need to sort this out.

Any advice appreciated.

Check the case of the path in your nsrnote.bat file and confirm its the same as the actual case of the path.

I am using Version 2.1

this was the same as the original before it was rebuilt and is being used successfully on three other Notes servers backed up via the same backup server.

It seems strange that the Details refers to files is say's aren't there.Since the server was rebuilt it hasn't had a successful online backup. It's like the backup server is checking the saveset against files from a previous successful backup. Is there a cache somewhere I am not aware of thats been copied back from before the build?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think there are two open questions:

1. Why does it say "skipping: ..." ?
This more points to the fact that there is a directive
that advises the backup command to skip certain files.
You better search for fortoggen "nsr.dir" files on the
E: drive.

2. It seems that the save command simply does not accept
wirldcards. Try to name a specifc database.

Also - did you ever backup the old batch file? - If so you
may recover it for reference purposes.

I having been very clear with my discription...

The saveset I use is "NOTES".

When I said "In the Details:
nsrnotesv:Skipping file E:\Notes\Data\*.* (Wild cards used instead of specific database names) File not found!." that was me using wildcards cos I didn't want to list all the specific database names.

Basically the Saveset is networker standard but somhow the backup server remembers whats is it was backing up before the server rebuild and references it somehow. Does it have unique identifiers for volumes? That would explain it but how can I get around it?.

The nsrnote.bat is a copy of the one pre-rebuild so nothing has changed there.

thanks,

Neil

Can you manually run a backup of a Notes db? Using the Networker User for Lotus gui?

All the environment variables are in the nsrnote.bat. I haven't added them to the system so when I ran a manual backup it didn't work. I will try it to see if it makes a difference.

I have tried a manual backup and I got the following error:

nsrnotesv: Error returned for E:\Notes\Data\admin.nsf by Notes API, error=3748 (Attempt to back up a database that is already being backed up)

This continues for a few more databases and then it fails.

I have looked at the XBSA Mesaages log and it says:

XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2376 Fri May 16 12:17:46 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 0 Number -13): Registration service not yet available
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2356 Fri May 16 12:17:46 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 0 Number -13): Registration service not yet available
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2356 Fri May 16 12:48:25 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 0 Number -13): retry needed
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2376 Fri May 16 12:48:25 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 0 Number -13): retry needed
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2356 Fri May 16 12:49:39 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 4 Number 4): Unable to receive
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2376 Fri May 16 12:49:39 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 4 Number 4): Unable to receive
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2376 Fri May 16 12:49:40 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a network error (Severity 5 Number 13): Service is going down
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2356 Fri May 16 12:49:40 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a network error (Severity 5 Number 13): Service is going down
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2388 Thu May 22 09:18:43 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 4 Number 4): Unable to receive
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2308 Thu May 22 09:18:43 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 4 Number 4): Unable to receive
XBSA-1.0.1 rt_2000_3Q.Build.90 2364 Thu May 22 09:18:43 2003 _nwbsa_is_retryable_error: received a retryable network error (Severity 4 Number 4): Unable to receive

It mentions registration service not available. There are four Notes servers backed up via the backup server and we have four notes modules registered. Do I have to reregister a module if I reinstall a notes module on a server?

This looks like a network related problem. However, the notes error message 3748 is the key - due to an abort? there is a flag set that indicates that the database is still in backup mode.

The solution is to restart Lotus Notes/Domino which resets
this backup flag. Please be sure that the db is idle before
you do that. You may want to update to NML 2.2.

I don't know if this was ever fixed, but, I was backing up a Lotus Notes server with successful results. A couple of months ago, I added another one and it never backed up the NOTES database, even though it finished successful, it would only back up the .ini file. Recently I was patching the client and the module agent with the latest versions, and this problem went away; I'm now fully backing up the NOTES save set. My recommendation for Warders is an update of the client and the agent module sitting on that Notes box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back