Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes Password Prompt on ODBC DSN open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bratfry

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
I am accessing information in Lotus Notes V5 from a Visual Basic(V6) program using ODBC ver2.06. As long as the database is local ( as it was when I was testing) I am not prompted for a password. When I redirect my DSN to a Domino Server stored copy of the database, the DSN asks me for a password. I enter the password of the local Notes client and the processing is completed.

Since this is a re-occurring process, it would be really nice to be able to supply this password at execution time. I have searched and have only came up with this quote from the Lotus NotesSQL Reference.

If your Notes user ID is password-protected ( which it is), Notes prompts for a password when you first connect to a remote database using NotesSQL. This information is not database-specific and is retained for the length of the session, so you will not need to enter it more than once if you connect to more than one database

Well every time my VB program processes it asks for the password so I guess each pass is a separate session. In any case, I need to supply the password at execution time to make this application work.

Any ideas, Thanks for any help.

Gary

The following might work as a work around:

Go to File - Security - User security, enter password, and make sure that the checkbox for 'Don't prompt for a password from other notes based programs ...' is checked.

from then on, as long as the notes client is authenticated, your external application should no longer prompt for authentication.

Cheers.

Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet
homepage:

Works like a champ.. In my Lotus Notes client I had to find that selction with File>Tools>UserId> and then my password.

(really the system admin guy found it, but I'll take the credit) :)

I dont think its a workaround but a solution.

Thanks for the tip.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back