Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes on Terminal - instacrash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 1999
US
I set up Notes on a Terminal server following all the documentation and things were going great. I had around eight regular users able to log in and get their mail reliably. In the last couple of days, however, I've run into a problem. I'll set up a user, the user is able to get into mail, but then the next time I log on to that profile, if I run Notes the splash screen flashes on the screen but the app doesn't actually ever load. The other profiles still work fine, but the new ones don't. I've check permissions on all the possible directories that could cause problems, I've checked group memberships to make sure the new accounts match the old ones.

What I'd like to be able to do is turn on some sort of logging so that I could tell what is actually happening. If I have to, I'll resort to the tools at SysInternals to monitor file, dll, and registry activity, but I'd rather use something internal to Notes if I could. Does anyone have any ideas about the problem or know whethere there is some sort of logging capability in the client?

Thanks,

ShackDaddy

Hello,
We ran into several issues running Notes on a Terminal Server. Did you try using iNotes? This is a web based email app that is pretty useful for remote access users. I know this is not a solution to your problem, but you might want to check it out. Out users are very happy with it. Especially since we grant them external access from any Internet Browser via RSA Authentication.

Rgds,

John Judge

Dear Shack Daddy,
Try using nlnotes.exe when you publish the executable rather notes.exe.

Using nlnotes.exe didn't make much difference, but it was a good idea.

I ended up using FileMon on a profile under which Notes worked and again under one in which it failed and then compared the results of both. It turned out that the system didn't like to retrieve the notes.ini file from the user profile folder, but preferred to look in the mapped user drive. Once I copied the Windows\notes.ini file over to the mapped user drive for each broken profile, it worked consistently. Thanks for your comments,

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back